Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Liberty Memorial

Today Erik and I went over to his dad's house to meet them for lunch. We left the girls at home with my mom because lunch with Tom and Mary, his grandma, usually takes 3-4 hours at least and I was not going to have them breakdown while at Avenues, a swanky bistro in Brookside.


The restaraunt didn't open until noon, so they offered to take us to the Liberty Memorial to kill time. Nothing like visiting a World War I museum with the inlaws!! Erik and I have been there before, but not since the new renovations.
This is from the wiki page for Liberty Memorial.


The weather was perfect yet again today and walking up to the memorial we felt what it would be like for ancient romans or egyptians walking up to one of their giantic structures... but theirs were even bigger. We all spent a while inside the museum before going up into the memorial itself. Once at the top, it was a spectacular feeling. The wind was strong, the sun was hot, not a cloud in the sky. If I closed my eyes I could just imagine myself on in the mountains on a beautiful day again. I think I could've stayed up there all day long.
This is from the wiki page for Liberty Memorial.

Erik and I talked about how we'd like to go back to the museum one day, just the two of us. As museums go, it was probably one of the better ones I've ever been to, not counting the likes of the Vatican and such! We'd like to spend a few hours there reading everything, learning what we can, and just going at our own pace.

On our way to the restaraunt Erik and I witnessed a man fall into the street and start to have seizures. Erik pulled the car over while I was dialing 911 and hopped out of the car to see if he was ok. The woman he was walking with didn't even know he had fallen, and she had kept going!! He seized for a few minutes as a crowd gathered around. Two women, one in nurses attire, stopped to "help", although they did nothing except hold an umbrella over his head. Really? You're a freaking nurse for crap's sake, and I'm the one down here doing all the checking, talking to the dispatcher, and telling him it will be ok. Erik thinks they were afraid of liability.... What is this world coming to? You can't help out your fellow man for fear of liability? Emergency services arrived and we left once he was in their capable hands.

Lunch at Avenues was great, as always. The food there is imepecable and the wine is awesome. Tom knows the staff there very well and they take very good care of him when he's there. Erik had the Kobe Burger... one of his life long dreams is to eat some Kobe beef. It may not have been a steak, but it probably the closest he'll get to one for a while.

As I predicted, lunch took several hours and I was very glad I decided not to bring the girls with us. I had to scramble around that afternoon asking my boss for tomorrow off too so we didn't have to hit the road after such a long lunch. Luckily he was able to pull through for me and we got to rest and relax one more night in KC before heading out of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment