Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

When we lie to our children

For the past two weeks or so Erik and I have been discussing finding a new home for our puppy. He is a great little dog and I love him lots (even when he's peeing on the floor..grr), but the timing was just wrong. He was not planned for and when the woman offered him to us spur of the moment, we couldn't really pass up a papered pup for free. But that was when either Erik or I were home all times of the day. Once Erik started his new job in the north, the poor little guy had to spend the majority of his day in the kennel while I was at work. I'd drive home each day and let him out for a pee break and to run for a few minutes, but then straight back into the kennel. It just isn't how a puppy should live.

We both agreed that if we could find a better home for him, we'd let him go. I have been looking for a loving family for a little while and just the other day found a potential one. I had a call from a woman who was interested. She and her boyfriend just bought a house, had no kids yet, and no other pets, and were looking to get one. Although they are young, they seemed right. I went over and checked out their house (I'm not sending my pup to some skeez-ball's house). It was clean and had an area for him to play.

Today after work I took him to their house. Gave them the kennel and his toys, his food and bowl, his leash and collar. He kept trying to follow me out the door when I was getting things. I told them a bit about his routines and then left. I was pretty upset. Although this is the best move for him and us, it was sad because I was already attached to him and I'm nervous the new people won't love him right (lol).

After getting the girls from daycare we came home to an empty house. About 40 minutes after being here Addie noticed Carter was not around. She asked where he was and I answered "He went to visit his mommy". I lied. I couldn't tell her he wouldn't be coming back again. Just his being gone on a "visit" caused a whole evening of break downs and crying. She found a toy I had missed and wailed for 30 minutes about how much "he needed it and we had to take it to him to visit his mommy."

In then end I know it's the best thing for us all. Explaining why we gave away a member of our family to a three year old is a difficult task and one that I'm not sure she really even gets. For weeks now we've been telling her how he's part of our family and that's why we have to love him and be nice to him, and now I've just taken that family to live elsewhere. Here I am teaching her to tell the truth and yet I lie. It feels terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment