Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Lunch and the Sandbox

Today we had a really great family outing. I've been wanting to buy Addie a sandbox for some time now as there really isn't any dirt in our yard to play in, and we allllll know how much she loves to dig in the dirt. After talking to Erik about it, we decided to pack up the ol' family and head down to Des Moines to check out some sandboxes.
I wasn't looking for anything spectacular, just a regular old sandbox. We stopped in at Menard's and found something that fit the bill perfectly, in fact, it was bigger than was I was originally thinking. Addie also got to spend some time "testing" the playsets they had set up for examples. Too bad I couldn't get her to go down the big slide, but she just isn't as brave as she used to be... that or she's finally figured out that she just can't run headlong into everything with no consequences.

After the sandbox shopping we decided to grab something to eat. Well, who am I kidding? Everytime we go to Des Moines it's a given fact that we'll be eating something there.. even if it's Burger King or Taco Bell.. at least it's more than what they have in Boone. Erik forced me to pick the place, yet again (sometimes it sucks having two indecisive people in the relationship.) I chose Olive Garden because at least Addie would eat something from there. That kid can put down some italian food, let me tell you!

Let me just preface this part with a momentary reminder of why we don't like to go out to eat as a family that often. When Bethy was only a few weeks old we had to run to Des Moines to buy me some pants. With the kids both in pretty good moods, and falling back on the "must eat out while in DSM" rule, we decided to head over to Red Lobster. About 2 minutes after having our food brought to the table Adalia, then about 21 months old, decides she wants a piece of ice from dad's cup. She takes it upon herself to grab some ice out and plop it right into her mouth, all the while Erik was saying "hey, hey.. that's too big of a piece." And guess what? Dad was right.. it was too big of a piece! Addie started choking on the ice, and not just a little choke; more the waving her hands in the air while trying to scream and cough it out kind of choke. The look upon her face was absolute fear. Even thinking of that look now makes me cringe. I thrust the then screaming Bethany into Erik's arms, swooped Addie up out of her high chair, flipped her upside down on my leg, and started pounding her back. Nothing was happening. Another woman who was seated next to us claims: "You're not doing it right!" At which point she takes her from me and start to do the same thing I was doing??? No matter, as it freed me up to grab her face and do a fingersweep of her throat.
By the way, it's amazing how far down a throat your finger will go while probing for something that is lodged in there.
I plopped it out and pulled her into my arms trying to settle us both down. Guess what the rest of the dining room was doing during all of this? Watching, open-mouthed, eyes wide, not a sound to be heard. Poor Erik was the one who was facing the rest of the dining room too.. all eyes were on us. Let me tell you, I'm not sure that Erik and I have ever eaten any faster in our lives, and we got out of there asap!


Anywho, back to today. We decided to take a chance and went to eat. The meal was wonderful! Both girls were absolutely perfect, the food was great, Addie ate like a champ and we didn't even have to hurry! It's so nice to be able to sit thru a meal in a restaraunt and not have to eat like a ravenous scoundrel who hasn't eaten in weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment